The title of this post might as well have been:
‘How to talk sense about management, trust, competencies, openness, participation, growth, vision, etc.?’
What it boils down to is this: you cannot use these words and say something sensible at the same time.
Here’s a little experiment
- Team up with a friend, a colleague or your partner.
- Both take a piece of paper and a pen.
- Write down one or more words from the list mentioned above.
- Write down a definition of each of these words. Try to be as specific as possible.
- Describe a specific example which you associate with the selected terms. (e.g. you describe a specific situation which to you was a great example of leadership) And also explain what makes this such a great example.
- Now compare your notes.
What did you experience?
And how does this change your opinion about ‘knowing’ what e.g. ‘leadership’ means?
Or about ‘having understood’ what somebody else meant when he said he expected more ‘leadership’ from you?
And what about ‘being right’?
Feel free to let me know. I’m looking forward to your stories.