The proposal is this:
At the beginning of the year every company publicly engages itself into establishing sustainability targets additionaly to their financial goals.
At the beginning of the year each of these targets are made public together with a suggested roadmaps.
The key rule is this:
Profits will not be paid out to any staff member, nor to any shareholder in the form of dividends if at the end of the year one of these targets isn’t met.
All financial gain should be reinvested into reaching the other targets until they are reached.
These targets are suposed to be:
- significantly more advanced than the targets the year before (if reached)
- reduction of ecological strain + advancement of ecological gain
- reduction of social strain + advancement of social gain
- reduction of financial strain + advancement of financial gain
What targets are chosen and how companies define advancement is left to their responsibility.
But what is obligatory is that these acts are made public at the beginning of each year and are publicly accounted for at the end of each year.
The penalty on still paying dividends and bonuses while not meeting the sustainability targets is this:
Nothing. Still, make no mistake, the cost of ignoring this rule will be tremendous. It will be so high and so destabilizing it will definitely make more sense to try and make things happen.
The tipping point is this:
This rule will affect positive change on a global scale if and only if:
- some companies who are willing to lead voluntarily adopt this proposal as a key part of their mission statements
- some national governments of nations who are willing to lead voluntarily adopt this proposal as a part of their legislation
- some stock exchange authorities who are willing to lead voluntarily adopt this proposal as rule for any company who wants to enter their stock exchane
- some people who are willing to lead voluntarily take it upon them to spread this message, bring it to the people who can actually make things happen in the places mentioned above and engage them in making the change
My appeal to you is this:
- spread the word
- make it happen